PAGE IN MAINTENANCE
Testa Grigia is, probably, the best balcony for dawn/sunset show on Monte Rosa and Cervino. A confortable bivouac (Ulrich Lateltin, 3.153m
), located on Monte Pinter summit, at about 45 min/1 hour from Testa Grigia top, helps the hikers in this goal. Testa Grigia is the highest summit, situated on the big ridge which divide Val di Gressoney from Val d'Ayas, S from Monte Rosa, and due to this predominant position has a great sighseen on all Aostan mountains and closer Pianura Padana. It can be climbed from three different trails. One from Gressoney La Trinitè, the second from Gressoney St. Jean and the third one, assisted from a cableway in Champoluc - Val d'Ayas. The last two trails join them at Colle Pinter. In my description you'll able to find the routes from Gressoney. For experienced trekker. All climb parts are assisted by fixed rope. Technical difficulties: none!
Talk about Testa Grigia?
Need some vocal info on Testa Grigia? Would you like to laugh at my English spoken? Here is my Skype contact (Exception: when I'm in office I'm not able to answer, because I haven't the USB phone there ...).
Getting in Gressoney Saint Jean or Gressoney La Trinitè
- From Torino or Milan: Motorway A5, exit in Pont Saint Martin. Follow Val di Gressoney direction.
- From Switzerland (Tunnel or Grand Saint Bernard Pass): in Aosta Est, get into Motorway A5. Follow Torino direction, exit from A5 in Pont Saint Martin, follow Val di Gressoney direction.
- From France (Tunnel Mont Blanc or Petit Saint Bernard Pass): get into Motorway A5, follow Torino direction, exit from A5 in Pont Saint Martin, tell a couple of bad words to the man in the box for the huge motorway fee, and follow for Val di Gressoney direction.
- Route 1, "La diretta". Park the car in Gressoney la Trinitè, and look for a shop called "Alimentari Welf". Very close to this shop there is the headtrail.
- Route 2, "Ondre Castel, Pinter", Gressoney Saint Jean. At Km 31 of Val di Gressoney Road, there is a little park, close to a garbage collector. 50 meters under this little parking there is headtrail ("Colle Pinter" indication on yellow panel). It is possible to begin this route from Chamonal village (km 28,8 of Val di Gressoney road). It's a little big longer, but a visit to the typical village of Alpenzu Grande (1.779m) will satisfy your curiosity for old Walser architecture. People interested in Champoluc destination, follow the same instructin as before changing Pont Saint Martin with Verres (exit from A5), and follow Val d'Ayas direction.
Any permit, season closures and fees are required.
When To Climb
Late June until end of September.
Bivacco Lateltin (Monte Pinter), 3.153 m. - 16 places, very confortable.
Better maps: 1) IGC, foglio 108 (Cervino Matterhorn Breuil Cervinia Champoluc), scale 1:25.000 2) IGC, foglio 109 (Monte Rosa Alagna Valsesia Macugnaga Gressoney), scale 1:25.000 (both these two maps are necessary for this trek). 3) IGC, foglio 5 (Cervino Matterhorn e Monte Rosa), scale 1:50.000