Schützkogel

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.36913°N / 12.45683°E
Activities Activities: Hiking, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 6788 ft / 2069 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Schützkogel is the culmination point of a secondary range branching off from the main range WildseeloderGaisstein at Gamshag. It is a twin summit, Schützkogel is called the northern twin whereas the southern one is, astonishingly enough, unnamed on maps but has a summit cross. Nevertheless localscall it “Kleiner Schütz”. Located near the town of Kitzbühel, Schützkogel is part of the Glemmtaler Alpen of Kitzbüheler Alpen area.

The Schützkogel north ridge, called Auf der Schütz, borders Kelchalm valley (or Grüntal valley) to the west and divides this secondary valley from the main valley between Kitzbühel and Pass Thurn (Jochberg valley).

Kleiner Schütz summit with Schützkogel behind
Kleiner Schütz summit with Schützkogel behind
Schützkogel (right) and Gamshag (left) as seen from Niederkaseralm
Schützkogel (right) and Gamshag (left) as seen from Niederkaseralm

Whereas Schützkogel is mainly a traverse summit in summer – many hikers proceed to Gamshag or are coming from this summit, in winter Schützkogel is mainly a separate ski tour. The west slopes above Jochberg are a good up- and downhill route for skiers.

Hikers who start at Kelchalm trailhead are in a historic interesting part of Kitzbüheler Alpen. Already 3000 years ago, Illyrian people started mining on copper ores in the area. From 1769 to 1900, copper ores where mined on a greater scale, the ruins of some mining buildings and the old mine dumps are still visible near the trailhead.

Getting There

Trailheads for Schützkogel are:

  • Parking area Pochwerk, Kelchalm valley
  • Jochberg, Erlauweg

You reach the Kelchalm or Jochberg trailhead by car:

From Munich or Salzburg directions by using highway A 8 and A 95 to Kufstein and A 12 (toll road) to exit Wörgl Ost; from Innsbruck likewise on A 12 to the indicated exit.

Go first on road number 178, then on road number 170 to Kirchberg and Kitzbühel. Turn on road number 161 in the direction to Pass Thurn.

Schützkogel and Kleiner Schütz as seen from near Kelchalm
Schützkogel and Kleiner Schütz as seen from near Kelchalm
Kelchalm valley as seen from Schützkogel
Kelchalm valley as seen from Schützkogel

For Kelchalm valley take Grüntalweg at Jochberg, Hotel Wiesenegg. Follow the road into Kelchalm valley until you reach the parking area “Pochwerk” an old ore mine place. The road is restricted for guests of Kelchalm / Bochumer Hütte.

For Jochberg trailhead go on road number 161 to Jochberg center and turn on Erlauweg. Follow this road to the end (parking area), crossing Jochberger Ache

Public transportation:

Next railroad station is

  • Kitzbühel

Bus number 4010 goes from Kitzbühel to Jochberg.

 

Routes Overview

 

I only mention the main routes to the summits. There are several more possibilities to climb Schützkogel.

Trailhead Pochwerk Kelchalm valley:

Follow the forest road to Niederkaseralm and Schichtenalm. A marked narrow trail starts here and zigzags up the east slopes to Schichtenalm Hochleger and to the Schützkogel north ridge. Follow the north ridge to the summit. Easy, beautiful.

Traverse to the unnamed twin of Schützkogel, Kleiner Schütz,  about 20 minutes. Easy, nice landscape.

Auf der Schütz - arriving at the north ridge of Schützkogel
Auf der Schütz - arriving at the north ridge of Schützkogel
Schützkogel and the unnamed twin as seen from the Gamshag north ridge
Schützkogel and the unnamed twin as seen from the Gamshag north ridge

Trailhead Jochberg, Erlauweg:

Follow the trail through Sintersbach valley or take the forest road above the valley ground and follow the trail and/or forest road to Wildalm. Follow a trail straight up then to the right. At Wildhochalm turn left, traverse on a trail below Gamshag to the notch between Schützkogel and the unnamed twin. From there shortly to the summits.

Traverse routes:

To Gamshag and Teufelssprung via the unnamed twin, sometimes called Kleiner Schütz.

To Gamshag, Tor, Tristkogel, Saaljoch

Traverse from Schützkogel to its unnamed twin
Traverse from Schützkogel to its unnamed twin
Near Schützkogel summit with view of Tristkogel
Near Schützkogel summit with view of Tristkogel

The Schützkogel ski route starts at Jochberg center, crosses Jochberger Ache and climbs the west slopes of Schützkogel first on forest roads or up the clearings and after Waldhausalm to the east over broad slopes to the upper north ridge and to the summit. Downhill likewise.

 

Red Tape & Accommodation

Please respect road restrictions and parking fees.

No nature protection area as far as I know.

Erica herbacea on the north ridge of Schützkogel
Erica herbacea on the north ridge of Schützkogel

Accommodation in the valleys

Kitzbühel

Jochberg

Hinterglemm

Mittersill

 

Mountain huts

Kelchalm / Bochumer Hütte

Wildalm

Gear & Mountain Condition

You can summit Schützkogel the whole year round.

In winter and spring, Schützkogel is an easy ski tour which nevertheless require full ski tour and avalanche gear.

Check the Tirol avalanche bulletin here.

In late spring, summer and autumn, Schützkogel is an easy hike. You need normal hiking gear, good shoes and maybe hiking poles. There are several hiking traverse options for one day or for several days.

Kleiner Schütz
Kleiner Schütz
Schützkogel, unnamed twin, Gamshag, Teufelsprung and Geißstein (from right to left) as seen from Groß Gebra
Schützkogel, unnamed twin, Gamshag, Teufelsprung and Geißstein (from right to left) as seen from Groß Gebra

Weather for Kitzbühel:

Maps

Alpenvereinskarte, scale 1 : 50000

number 34/2 Kitzbüheler Alpen, östliches Blatt;

  • with trails and UTM-grid, edition 2015
  • with ski routes and UTM-grid, edition 2015

 



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Kitzbüheler AlpenMountains & Rocks