Teufelsprung

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.35604°N / 12.46929°E
Activities Activities: Hiking, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 7133 ft / 2174 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Teufelssprung, Devils Jump, is a rather strange name for a mountain. This mountain is located in the Glemmtaler Alpen part of Kitzbüheler Alpen, not far awy from the eponymous town of Kitzbühel. The summit is the southern end of a 950 m long ridge, its northern end is called Gamshag. The ridge is near level and the summits are nearly equally in height, a strange topographic feature.

Teufelsprung summit and Gamshag
Teufelsprung summit and Gamshag

This ridge is located between Jochberg valley to the west, the valley between Kitzbühel and Pass Thurn, and Saalbach – Hinterglemm valley to the east, location of a huge and famous ski area. Neighbour summits are Schützkogel with its unnamed twin summit to the northwest, Tristkogel to the northeast and Schusterkogel to the southeast.

As nearly everywhere in Kitzbüheler Alpen, Teufelssprung can be part of wider and longer traverses. Schützkogel – Gamshag – Teufelssprung is one of them, Tristkogel can be included, too – there is a difficult Via Ferrata to Tristkogel, something you do not expect for a Kitzbühel summit. Many years ago I did a two day traverse with 13 summits (Kuhkaser, Schöntagweidkogel, Schellenberg, Sintersbachhöhe, Maurerkogel, Rescheskogel, Gaisstein, Schusterkogel, Teufelssprung, Gamshag, unbenannter Gipfel, Schützkogel) with an overnight stay at Bürglhütte.

Why Devils Jump, now. Look at the pic below, a location some meters below the summit, and you will understand…..

The devils jump at Teufelsprung summit
The devils jump at Teufelsprung summit

Hikers who start at Kelchalm trailhead are in a historic interesting part of Kitzbüheler Alpen. Already 3000 years ago, Illyrian people started mining on copper ores in the area. From 1769 to 1900, copper ores where mined on a greater scale, the ruins of some mining buildings and the old mine dumps are still visible near the trailhead.

 

Getting There

Trailheads for Teufelsprung are:

  • Parking area Pochwerk, Kelchalm valley
  • Jochberg, Erlauweg
  • Saalbach / Hinterglemm – Lengau

You reach the Kelchalm or Jochberg trailhead by car:

From Munich or Salzburg directions by using highway A 8 and A 95 to Kufstein and A 12 (toll road) to exit Wörgl Ost; from Innsbruck likewise on A 12 to the indicated exit.

Go first on road number 178, then on road number 170 to Kirchberg and Kitzbühel. Turn on road number 161 in the direction to Pass Thurn.

For Kelchalm valley take Grüntalweg at Jochberg, Hotel Wiesenegg. Follow the road into Kelchalm valley until you reach the parking area “Pochwerk” an old ore mine place. The road is restricted for guests of Kelchalm / Bochumer Hütte.

For Jochberg trailhead go on road number 161 to Jochberg center and turn on Erlauweg. Follow this road to the end (parking area), crossing Jochberger Ache

Saalbach / Hinterglemm valley branches off at Zell am See. The trailhead is at the very end of the public road after passing through Hinterglemm. You reach Zell am See from highway A 10 / exit Bischofshofen and road number 311. You reach Zell am See likewise on road number 165 and 168 passing through Pinzgau valley.

Ascent to Groß Gebra, Teufelsprung and Schützkogel to the upper left
Ascent to Groß Gebra, Teufelsprung and Schützkogel to the upper left

Public transportation:

Next railroad stations are

  • Kitzbühel
  • Zell am See

Bus number 4010 goes from Kitzbühel to Jochberg.

Post bus number 680 connects Saalbach-Hinterglemm valley with Zell am See.

Routes Overview

From Kelchalm / Pochwerk go to Niederkaseralm and Oberkaseralm, using the forest road an between Niederkaser and Oberkaser the old trail as a shortcut. Ascend then on the marked trail to Tor, the col between Gamshag and Tristkogel. Follow the forest road to the Hochtor col or go right on a narrow trail up to Torsee and straight on on a trail with some ups and downs th the same col. Go left and ascend Teufelssprung via its east ridge.

From Lengau near Hinterglemm go to Lindingeralm on the forest road. Take there the left hand trails up the north slopes of the valley and traverse to the west to a trail junction. Take the left hand trail up to Schusterscharte, go right there and follow the ridge to the col in front of Teufelssprung. Cross the forest road there and ascend Teufelssprung on its east ridge.

Torsee and Teufelsprung
Torsee and Teufelsprung
Traverse ridge from Gamshag to Teufelsprung
Traverse ridge from Gamshag to Teufelsprung

From Jochberg / Erlauweg follow the forest road or the Sintersbach valley trail into Sintersbach valley. Go straight on on a trail where the Sintersbach forest road goes up to your left to Wildalm. Follow this trail up to Grundalm in the uppermost part of Sintersbach valley. The forest road Grundalm – Toralm brings you up to the Hochtor col east of Teufelssprung. Follow the east ridge to the summit.

Alternatively follow the Sintersbach forest road up to Wildalm. Take there the trail to Wildalm Hochleger and the so called Sennsteig to Hochtor col. East ridge to the summit.

Traverse routes:

20 minutes traverse on the near level ridge to Gamshag.

To Schusterkogel, Gaisstein and Bürglhütte following the ridge trail to Schusterscharte, Schlaberstatt (trail to Schusterkogel) and the east slopes of Gaisstein.

Torsee, Tor and Tristkogel as seen from Teufelsprung
Torsee, Tor and Tristkogel as seen from Teufelsprung
Kelchalm / Bochumer Hütte
Kelchalm / Bochumer Hütte

Ski route to Teufelssprung:

From Lengau / Hinterglemm via Lindingalm up to Toralm and Hochtor. Ascend via east ridge. A loop route via Gamshag and downhill to Tor col is possible.

Teufelssprung can be included, too in the skiroute from Kelchalm / Grüntalweg to Gamshag.

Red Tape & Accommodation

Please respect road restrictions and parking fees.

No nature protection area as far as I know.

 

Accommodation in the valleys

Kitzbühel

Jochberg

Hinterglemm

Mittersill

 

Mountain huts

Kelchalm / Bochumer Hütte

Wildalm

 

Gear & Mountain Condition

You can summit Teufelsprung the whole year round.

In winter and spring, Teufelsprung is an easy ski tour which nevertheless require full ski tour and avalanche gear.

Check the Tirol avalanche bulletin here.

In late spring, summer and autumn, Teufelsprung is an easy hike. You need normal hiking gear, good shoes and maybe hiking poles. There are several hiking traverse options for one day or for several days.

Hieracium intybaceum on the Teufelsprung summit
Hieracium intybaceum on the Teufelsprung summit

Weather for Kitzbühel:

Maps

Alpenvereinskarte, scale 1 : 50000

number 34/2 Kitzbüheler Alpen, östliches Blatt;

  • with trails and UTM-grid, edition 2015
  • with ski routes and UTM-grid, edition 2015

 



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Kitzbüheler AlpenMountains & Rocks