Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.97110°N / 107.1011°W
Additional Information County: Gunnison
Activities Activities: Hiking, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 12506 ft / 3812 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Ruby Range Overview

The Ruby Range is a long, southern extension of the Elk Mountains. Most of the Ruby Range is within the Raggeds Wilderness. Yule Pass and Kebler Pass are the northern and southern boundaries of the Ruby Range, respectively.

Overview

Mineral Point A is located in the Elk Mountains about two miles south of Yule Pass and close to the towns of Pittsburgh (Pittsburg) and Crested Butte. It is the third most northern peak in the Ruby Range, a subrange of the Elk Mountains.
Mineral Point A
Mineral Point A from Augusta Mountain.


Mineral Point A is the highest of all three Mineral Point's in the state, hence the A.

In addition to providing a fun hike in the summer, the east face makes a fine ski descent in the fall, winter and spring during times of low avalanche danger.
Mineral Point A & Augusta Mountain
Mineral Point A & Augusta Mountain, from left to right, from Purple Mountain.


From the summit, its parent, Augusta Mountain, Purple Mountain, Treasure Mountain, Treasury Mountain, Cinnamon Mountain, North Maroon Peak, South Maroon Peak, Pyramid Peak, "Thunder Pyramid" and "Lightning Pyramid" can be seen.
Cascade Mountain, Augusta Mountain & Mineral Point A
Cascade Mountain, Augusta Mountain & Mineral Point A from Poverty Gulch.

Getting There

Summer


From CO 135 and Main St. in Crested Butte, drive 0.9 mile north to Slate River Road (FSR-734). Follow Slate River Road to Poverty Gulch Road (FSR-734.2A) just before Pittsburgh, Colorado. Follow Poverty Gulch Road up Poverty Gulch, which crosses the creek to the west and switchbacks up to Augusta Mine at 11,000'. This is the summer trailhead. Follow the drainage west up to a bench lake, then climb the southwest face directly or gain the Augusta Mountain-Mineral Point A saddle and follow to the summit. The ridge is no more than class 2, but has a bit of exposure on the north side.
Mineral Point A
Mineral Point A via Slate River Road. Click to enlarge.


Fall, Winter & Spring


Snow closure is less than 3 miles from the CO 135/Slate River Road intersection, adding ~11 miles roundtrip to the summer route.

Red Tape

Mineral Point A is just outside of the eastern border of the Raggeds Wilderness, so motorized travel is permitted from the east.

Mountain Conditions

7 Day Forecast for Crested Butte, CO

Colorado Avalanche Information Center

Crested Butte Avalanche Center

Camping

http://www.visitcrestedbutte.com/camping.cfm

External Links

Skiing Mineral Pont A's west ridge
Camping