Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.72498°N / 106.29809°W
Additional Information County: Eagle, Summit
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 12942 ft / 3945 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

summit view to the north.Peak J is one of the more obscure member of the (anyways pretty obscure) Gore Range Alphabet. Its location high above the isolated South Black Creek, North Slate Creek and Upper Piney Drainages guarantees absolute solitude.Following Kane's example I did not provide a map and kept my route description comparably short.I trust that if you venture that deep into the Gore Range you will do your proper preparation anyways.

Getting There

Summit view

Peak J can be accessed from the following drainagesPiney Valley - via long grassy slopes and scree filled gulliesNorth Slate Creek - via long bushwhacks from the EastPitkin Lake/South Slate Creek via "The Saw" and the "Rocking Horse"none of these approaches are short or straightforward - they all will lead you deep into the wilderness of the Gores

Red Tape/Camping/Mountain Condition

Peak T (?) in the distance

You will hike most the time in the Eagle's Nest Wilderness - please abide to all Wilderness RegulationsPlenty of camping spots along in the whole area the moment you leave the tree line behind you.Bring plenty of DEET or the mosquitos in all Gore Drainages will eat you alive.Heavy thunderstorms hit the Gore Range on a regular basis - make sure to be off the ridges at midday- you do not want to be the highest point on as ridge with an ice pick in your hands and crampons on your feet during a thunderstorm.



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.