Ortzanzurieta

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 43.02197°N / 1.27595°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 5118 ft / 1560 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

West side of Ortzanzurieta

As stated in the SP page of Adi, in the north of the spanish province of Navarra there's a number of green mountains that link the lower summits of Baztán and Bidasoa to the first two thousanders placed around the Mesa de los Tres Reyes. Ortzanzurieta is one of those mountains, all of them used by shepherds and people working in the woods for the last two thousand years or so. It is the local giant, the first summit to climb over 1500 meters in the Pyrenees when you enter them from the west. The summit was once occupied by radio and TV antennae, which explains the (badly cared for) old road reaching the top, but the sights are wonderful in clear days. That fact, the proximity to the Camino de Santiago (the way to Santiago de Compostela) and the historical memories placed in the Abbey of Roncesvalles and the roman remains of nearby mount Urkulu make Orzanzurieta a good candidate for a small place here in Summitpost.

Getting There


The closest big town on the spanish side of the border is Pamplona. According to the information provided by the web page of the Burguete Council, there’s a bus service to Pamplona. Nevertheless, I am still trying to find out which is the company providing the service. Will let you know as soon as possible.
Entering the Colegiata of...Roncesvalles
For the spanish trailheads, leave the city towards Huarte and afterwards follow road N135 north. About 19 km after leaving Pamplona, you will cross the village of Zubiri. Turn right after Zubiri and follow the signs to Burguete for an additional 28 km. Once you reach Burguete, keep going along the main street and drive for another three km to the Abbey of Roncesvalles, main trailhead for Orzanzurieta.
If you have chosen the trailhead of the Fábrica de Orbaitzeta, take an eastwards road between Espinal and Burguete (signposted “Garralda-Isaba”). Follow that road (N140) for 11 km and turn left (northwards) after Aribe to enter NA-2030. It will be six km before you reach the small village of Orbaitzeta. Do not enter the village, keep driving north to reach the buildings grouped around the ruins of the old (18th-19th century) weapons factory, where the asphalt ends.
If you have decided to start from the french trailhead of St. Jean Pied-de-Port and are coming from Bordeaux or from the spanish border, you must follow highway A63 up to exit 5. Leave the highway at this spot and keep driving following road D918 along the river Nive towards Cambo Les Bains, St.Martin d’Arrossa and St.Jean Pied-de-Port.

Closest main railway stations:
On the spanish side Pamplona (50 km away from Roncesvalles, 66 from Fábrica de Orbaitzeta).
On the french side St. Jean Pied-de-Port.

Closest main airports: Pamplona (50 km away from Roncesvalles, 66 from Fábrica de Orbaitzeta)
and Biarritz (about 52 km away from St.Jean Pied-de-Port)

Red Tape

No special remarks to be made. If anything, remember that the area is a rather usual meeting point for dove hunters in the autumn. Keep your eyes open just in case, even though Ortzanzurieta is not the most frequented mountain for them.

Camping

No special regulations that I'm aware of.

External Links

Roncesvalles Abbey: Official web site

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.