The highest peak of the western frontier in the Western Bieszczady Mountains.
The main peak is in Poland, on the southern slope runs Polish-Ukrainian border. Great Rawka ridge culminates in some obscure corners. The highest point is a sandstone outcrop in the middle of the height of which is, according to various sources 1304 or 1307 m above sea level. On the top there is a concrete pole, a former trade geodesic. The mountain is heavily forested, the highest part is covered with meadows in Bieszczady called połonina. Upper limit of the forest here is about 1200 - 1250 m.
At Wielka Rawka Summit Mała Rawka
View from Chatka Puchatka
The best way to get here is a car. This is the most S-E part of Poland, so you can arrive only from north:
- road E 397 - toward border with Slovakia (Barwinek), in Tylawa turn left - road 897,
- road 84, in Lesko - road 893 and in Cisna - 897 (turn left)
- from Ustrzyki Dolne - road 896
Wielka Rawka is situated in Bieszczady National Park area.
It has the status of a strictly protected zone. Standard National Park rules apply, such as: no camping, stick to the marked routes, do not disturb wildlife, etc. Enrance fee is about 1,5 euro. In the Bieszczady is the possibility of meeting with the brown bear, must also be careful about adder snake.
The best possibility of accomodation is "Bacówka pod Małą Rawką" - mountain hut - near from Przełęcz Wyżniańska Pass - about 20 minutes of walking.
Website of Bacowka pod Mala Rawka
Nearest camping is in the Wetlina
and Wolosate. Many possibilities of accommodation in Wetlina, Ustrzyki Upper - hotels, guesthouses, etc.
- Quickest way: from Przełęcz Wyżniańska (Pass - parking place), green marked trail - to Mała Rawka, about 1 hour, later yellow trail to Wielka Rawka, you can continue hiking by blue and green trail to Kremenaros
and go to Wetlina (long walk)or back to Przełęcz Wyżniańska
- from Wetlina - green trail, about 2,5 hours to Mała Rawka