Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.32500°N / 106.2181°W
Additional Information Elevation: 13269 ft / 4044 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

While only 424th highest in Colorado Antora Peak is 46th most prominent in the state, sitting quietly at the southern terminus of the Sawatch range, also known as the "Indian group" of the range. Antora is overshadowed by its higher and more prominent neighbor to the north, Mount Ouray, which sees much more traffic due to its status as one of Colorado's highest 100 peaks. There is very little information available about Antora Peak given its distance from metropolitan areas and indistinct characteristics. Here is an interesting article about the nomenclature of the peaks in this range, with no real conclusion as to this obscure peak's name origin. Antora Peak is relatively gentle on all sides, lacking any rock formations or large talus. For my own trip report Click here. There are several routes to the summit, the shortest being the Southeast Ridge.

Getting There

From Poncha Springs south of Johnson Village, travel South 22 miles to just north of Villa Grove. Take the signed Saguache County Road LL56 (for Bonanza) 13.7 miles to FR861. Take FR861 to its westernmost point before it heads toward Bonanza to 10,700' (5 miles). There are two atv roads to the west of this bend in the road, the left heading more or less toward Antora Peak.

When To Climb

June - October. Access to the suggested starting point above may be more difficult in winter months as the road is not maintained. Some have been successful starting lower with a longer hike.

Camping

While heavily used by hunters when in season, camping areas are available along FR 861 in addition to sites near Mosquito Lake at the road's end. There are no fees.

Weather Link

NOAA.GOV 7 DAY FORECAST

External Links



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Sawatch RangeMountains & Rocks
 
Colorado 13ersMountains & Rocks