Goalsevarri

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 69.54920°N / 20.14390°E
Additional Information County: Troms
Activities Activities: Mountaineering, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 4229 ft / 1289 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Goalsevarri is a well known skiing peak in the Lyngen area. The rock is of poor quality, but the skiing season runs from from the first return of the sun (mid January) until the melt (anywhere between May and June). There are no trails to the summit, and due to the loose rock, hiking is not recommended. For the die hard mountaineer who refuses to ski, there are some easy to moderate ridge climb possibilities, as well as some ugly mixed 3rd class faces.


Getting There

From Tromsø, drive on the one and only highway out of town E8 for about 26 kilometers. Turn left on 91 with signs to Brevikeidet and Olderdalen, with a ferry symbol. At the end of this road (a little more than 30km) is the ferry to Lyngen. At disembarkation from the ferry, turn right toward Lyngseidet. Drive along Kjosen, a narrow fjord with towering mountains on both sides. Continue driving another 4km past the end of the fjord, and arrive in the town of Lyngen.

At the church, turn right and uphill into a small group of houses. The names here are not important, just get on the highest road you can, and find a place to park that does not intrude on private homes and driveways. There are several small paths in this area that converge, so the exact parking area is not so important.

The map you'll need is the 1:50000 series #1634 III Title: Lyngen.

State Map Website

Why you should climb this peak.

Goalseverri is not the biggest or grandest peak in the Lyngen region. But it is one of the best for early season when light is limited and snowfall may be light. It comes into skiing condition earlier in the season than many other peaks, and the short approach means it can be done even on short days.

External Links

Late Spring ski photos
Weather Link for Lyngen

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.