The majestic panorama from the peak takes many summits of the Valle d'Aosta in at a glance, in addition to the nearby Punta Tersiva and the complete Emilius Group. The list includes Matterhorn, Grand Combin, and both Gran Paradiso and Monte Rosa Groups. Mont Blanc Group is hidden and only a small portion of Grandes Jorasses is visible through the far narrow window of Passo dei Tre Cappuccini.
- First on the summit: Unknown.
- In winter: Unknown.
Getting ThereBY CAR:
- From Torino, Milano, etc: Motorway A5. Exit in Aosta Ovest. Drive to the near Aymavilles. Follow in the direction of Valle di Cogne.
- From Switzerland: through the Grand St. Bernard Tunnel or the homonym Pass). Drive to Aosta, then follow Courmayeur direction on SS.26. Just after Sarre, turn to the left, in the direction of Valle di Cogne.
- From France: through Mont Blanc Tunnel or Petit St. Bernard Pass). It isn't necessary to enter in Motorway A5, you can drive through SS.26 Aosta direction. Before arriving at the Village of Sarre, follow the sign and turn right towards Valle di Cogne.After Aymavilles, the Regional Road n° 47 crosses the Villages of Vieyes, Epinel and Cretaz and after about 25 Km. arrives at Cogne (1534m). Follow the road signs for Gimillan and Lillaz; arrived at a round-about, recently built in proximity of the St. Anthony Chapel, go left along the scenic route leading to the Village of Gimillan (1787m), 3 Km. after Cogne. Usually no parking problem.
- Aeroporto Internazionale "Corrado Gex" Saint Christophe (Aosta).
From left: Mont Vallonet (3098m), Punta Laval (3102m), Punta Gianni Vert (3148m), Punta Tessonet (3264m), Cresta del Tessonet (3327m) and Punta Tersiva (3515m).
Difference in height: about 1304m.
Ascent time: 4-5 hours.
Descent: along the ascent route.
Go right starting from the car park of Gimillan: after few meters the indications for Lussert Lakes, St. Marcel Pass, etc. are found. The pathway is indicated by the yellow circle 9A and by yellow strips marked on stones along the route. The path begins going immediately uphill, then the slope decreases as we go beyond a little chapel dedicated to the Virgin (1836m).
Soon the path resumes to go up and splits in two, before it begins to penetrate into the Grauson Valley: it's possible to continue following the right one that goes down as far as the Ecloseur Bridge (1904m), but in such a case we must go up again; it's better to follow the left one that, in practice without losing height, arrives at the bridge under the Alpeggio Pila (2025m), cross it and, following the stepped pathway, overcome the rocky bastion beside a fine waterfall (at the left).
At this point the path turns right markedly, entering, high on the torrent, into a small valley; by an alternation of steep and slight slopes, it reaches a panoramic cross, on the edge of a pleasant plateau (superb view of the far La Grivola!). The path goes through the meadows, slightly descendind: after the Alpi di Grauson Vecchie (2271m), cross the torrent on the Pikaciù Bridge and by a steep trail beside the stream, reach the wide upper part of the Grauson valley.
At the junction before Alpeggio Pralognan (about 2400m), instead of going straight ahead along the pathway n°4 leading to the head of Vallone di Grauson, go left till to Alpeggio Grauson Nuove (2540m), where once there was the burned Tentori Bivouac. Just on the right of the building, go along the pathway, indicated by the yellow circle N°9 and by yellow strips marked on stones along the route, in the direction of the Coronas (or Corona) Lake: cross a brook and by broad hairpin bends, after a small lake on the left, reach the Coronas Lake (2702m).
Cross the effluent of the lake and continue on the right as far as the Colle di Saint Marcel or Corona (2916m), about 1h'45 hours starting from the junction with the pathway n°4.
After the pass, the pathway becomes intuitive, keep always right and begin to ascend the Punta Laval along the NW side, paying attention since the route goes on along wrecks and broken rocks. After about 40' the double summit of Punta Laval is reached (3091m / 3102m), just in front of Punta Gianni Vert (3148m).
Pay attention in the case of snow, in particular during the crossing between the two summits of Punta Laval: stay always under the ridge, avoiding to walk on the snowy cornices, lethal in the event of collapse .
DifficultyThis route is rated EE-F.
EquipmentStandard mountaineering equipment.
Bus linesSAVDA bus lines connect Aosta to Cogne.
In addition, both in summer and in winter, S.A.V.D.A. shuttle bus connect Cogne with the villages (Gimillan and Lillaz, in our case).
CampingsRemember that free camping is forbidden (except for emergency reasons, over 2500m, from darkness until dawn).
- Meteo: you can find all the needed informations at the official site of the Valle d'Aosta Region:
Valle d'Aosta Meteo
- WEBCAM on Aosta Valley:
Books and MapsBOOKS:
"Guida delle Alpi Occidentali" di Giovanni Bobba e Luigi Vaccarone C.A.I. Sezione di Torino Volume II (parte II), 25 Maggio 1896.
- "Guida dei Monti d'Italia–Emilius Rosa dei Banchi Parco del Mont Avic" di Giulio Berutto e Lino Fornelli-Club Alpino Italiano/Touring Club Italiano, Marzo 2005 (in Italian).
- Kompass "Gran Paradiso Valle d'Aosta Sentieri e rifugi" Carta turistica 1:50.000.
- Enrico Editore Ivrea-Aosta "Gruppo del Gran Paradiso" 1:50.000.
- L'Escursionista "Valle di Cogne Carta dei Sentieri" (n°10) 1:25.000.
- L'Escursionista "Tour de la Vallée de Cogne Grand Paradis" Carta dei sentieri 1:25.000.
- REGIONE AUTONOMA VALLE D'AOSTA the official site.
- FONDAZIONE MONTAGNA SICURA Villa Cameron, località Villard de la Palud 1 Courmayeur (AO) Tel: 39 0165 897602 - Fax: 39 0165 897647.
- SOCIETA' GUIDE ALPINE DI COGNE Tel. 347/9473526 – 328/1373728.
- A.I.NE.VA. (Associazione Interregionale Neve e Valanghe).
- A.IA.T. Cogne Gran Paradis via Bourgeois n° 34 Tel. 0165-74040. E-mail: email@example.com
- Ezio Sport articoli sportivi - via Bourgeois n° 64 Tel. 0165-74204.
- Soccorso Alpino Cogne (SAR) Tel. 3482685406.
- Protezione Civile Valdostana località Aeroporto 7/A Saint Christophe (Ao) Tel. 0165-238222.
- Bollettino Meteo (weather info) Tel. 0165-44113.
- Unità Operativa di Soccorso Sanitario Tel. 118.