Dokhaharan

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.03430°N / 51.92220°E
Additional Information Elevation: 14232 ft / 4338 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Mountain Conditions

Overview

Click for Introduction to the Central Alborz Mountains

Click for a detailed map of the Central Alborz Mountains.

Click for a map of Dokhaharan Massif.

"Do" means "Two"
"Khahar" means "Sister"
Dokhaharan=Two Sisters
dokh20

dokh21

dokh22

dokh23


NAME ALERT: Many maps use the name Chapakro in reference to these peaks. In this discussion, Chapakro will be the 4260 m peak to the east of Dokhaharan. The reason for this confusion is not apparent to me since the names are self explanatory. Dokhaharan means Two Sisters and clearly refers to the twin summits while Chapakroo mean Crooked Face. The reason for this name becomes obvious once you see the 4260 m peak to the east of the Dokhaharan Peaks.




The Middle Wall of the Central Alborz (see "Intro to Central Alborz" link above) refers to an 80 Km long area that starts with the 5671 m Mt. Damavand to west of Haraz Valley and stretches west to near the Kandovan Pass at the junction of the Chalus & Karaj valleys. This area contains approximately 45 peaks higher than 4000 m. Some of these peaks aggregate on the eastern part of the area near the Haraz Valley. The twin summits of the Dokhaharan Peaks are the tallest peaks in this group.

The Iranian 1:50 000 map gives an elevation of 4338 m for West Dokhaharan and contour lines of 4300-4320 m for East Dokhaharan (my GPS/altimeter measured the elevation of the east peak at 14135 ft/4308 m).

Dokhaharan and its neighbors sit in a true alpine paradise in a rugged and remote part of the Central Alborz Mountains a very long day's hike from the nearest village (and much longer from other trailheads). The guardian of this little piece of paradise is the towering volcanic cone of Mt. Damavand which often dominates the view to the east.

The northern slopes of Dokhaharan drop steeply to around 3800 m and then continue much more gently to reach the bottom of the Sesang River Valley (3500-3600 m). When we visited the area in mid June, these slopes were still, for the most part, covered by a thick blanket of snow. Seasonal alpine lakes can be found in the upper portions of the Sesang Valley. The southern slopes of Dokhaharan drop steeply to around 3400 m at the bottom of the Deev Asiyab River Valley. To the east, Dokhaharan are connected to the 4260 m Chapakro Peak and to the west, they connect to the 4178 m Takhte Khers Peak.

Dokhaharan are usually climbed along with some of their neighbors, in a multi-day hiking program. Below you will find pictures and a brief description of what you will encounter on your way. Much more detail can be found on the "Lehra Saddle to East Summit" Route Page.

From Tehran, you will drive the Haraz Rd past Mt. Damavand and onto a side road that goes up the Nomarestagh River to the Village of Nomar (2150 m).



Pictures of the valley of Nomarestagh River
dokh2

Dokh1

From the village of Nomar, you will hike a streamside trail to a flat grassy area among the mountains known as the Daryook Plain (2350 m)
Pictures of the Daryook Plain
dokh3

dokh4

dokh5

The trail above Daryook Plain
dokh6

dokh7

dokh8

At around 2800 m you will reach a place called Chehel Cheshmeh (Forty Springs) where water pours down the side of the mountain flooding the trail
Pictures of Chehel Cheshmeh





dokh9
dokh10


Continuing up the trail past vast fields of wild flowers, you will reach the 3650 m Lehra Saddle where Dokhaharan and its neighbors first come into view. (For more pictures also see the pages for Kaoon and Lehra Peaks)
Pictures of Lehra saddle
dokh11

dokh12

From Lehra Saddle, you will descend to the banks of the Sesang River (3500 m) where you will set up your base camp. The easiest way to the summit of the West Dokhaharan Peak is via the summit of the Takhte Khers Peak where an easy walk-up will get you to the top. (See Photo, See Route for Takhte Khers). With its long and rugged east ridgeline, East Dokhaharan will present much more of a challenge to the climber. The best route is to go up the valley that separates the Sesang Peaks from the Chapakro Peak and then follow the mentioned ridgeline.
Pictures of Sesang River
dokh13

dokh15

dokh14

Strange gap in the snow bank on the valley that separates Sesang Peaks from Chapakro Peak
dokh16

dokh17

Class III climbing on the east ridgeline of East Dokhaharan
dokh18

Views from the summit of East Dokhaharan
dokh24

dokh25

dokh26

Dokh27

Dokh28

Dokh29

Dokh30

dokh31

dokh32

Getting There

From eastern Tehran, drive the Haraz Road (Tehran-Amol) past the towns of Baijan and Kahrood until you see a sign that says “Amol 55 Km”. A few Kimlometers beyond this sign you will find a dirt road on the left (west) side of the road. This road is well-graded and is passable by most/any car. It might be inconspicuously signed for “Panjab” or “Nomar”. Drive the road 25 km to its end at the village of Nomar (also known as Nomarestagh). Distance from eastern Tehran is roughly 130 Km.


Red Tape

There is no fee for climbing. Hunting is prohibited.

When To Climb

Easiest in summer. Winter climbs will be very hard for obvious reasons. My favorite season is late June when there is still much snow on the higher elevations, the grass is green and the flowers are in bloom.

Camping

Anywhere. Perfect spots will be on the Lehra Saddle (for Kaoon or Lehra Peaks) or on the banks of the Sesang River.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.