Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.76133°N / 106.32521°W
Additional Information County: Summit
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 12664 ft / 3860 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Dwarf Pyramid

Dwarf Pyramid is located deep in the Gore Range. Its location high above the Black Creek Drainage on the East Side of Gore Range guarantees absolute solitude. Dwarf Pyramid might be dwarfed by the dramatic North Face of Mount Powell right across Duck Lake, but the views from its summit are anything than dwarfish – you sit right in the center of a grandiose amphitheater formed by Eagle’s Nest, Mount Powell, Ripsaw Ridge and the Peak J to O Ridge.

Getting There/Route

Dwarf Pyramid

Trailhead: Piney LakeGet off at Exit 176 on I 70 - go west and turn on Redsandstone Rd, which turns into Piney Lake Road. Most of it is dirt road, can be a bumpy ride, but makeable for a normal sedan - just take it slow. Park outside the reserve gate to your right.

Route:

Hike on Piney River Trail to the waterfalls. An indistinctive trail branches off to the left about 100 yards after the falls. Follow the trail up to a bowl below Mount Powell and Peak C. Continue on the trail up to Kneeknocker Pass. The trail ends at the pass, the other side of the pass maybe covered by a large snowfield deep into the summer months. Climb over to the left side of the snowfield/valley and continue on to the saddle between the craggy East Ridge of Mount Powell and Dwarf Pyramid.

The North Side of Dward Pyramid is around the corner. Its grassy slopes allow a quick and easy climb up to the summit

Red Tape

View from Saddle - Dwarf Pyramid-Mount Powell

You will hike most the time in the Eagle's Nest Wilderness - please abide to all rules and regulations to keep this place wild and pristine

Mountain Conditions/Gear/Camping

Dwarf Pyramid

Dwarf Pyramid is in the middle of nowhere. Only a handful of people venture that deep into the Gore Range every year. You are on your own if anything goes wrong.

The time window to climb Dwarf Pyramid is very short - avalanches are a threat on each side of Kneeknocker Pass until spring and snowfall will close the door on you in later fall.

There are only a couple grassy spots around Duck Lake for camping. You will be high above treeline without shelter against heavy thunderstorms which hammer the Gore Range during the monsoon season.

You will need helmet,crampons and ice axe into the summer for the descent from Kneeknocker Pass on its Eastern Side (in  spring also for the ascent on the Western side)