Maladetas Occidentales

Maladetas Occidentales

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 42.64922°N / 0.63346°E
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 10705 ft / 3263 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Delmás, Mir and Sayó from Diente de AlbaMir

The peaks of Maladetas Occidentales (Western Maladetas) are really three main summits (first, second and third) in the ridge west of Maladeta Massif and another two joined to north and south respectly (Delmás and Le Bondidier). The main summits are named as well as Cordier, Sayó and Mir. All the names are from former mountaineers of the first years of conquest of this massif remembering their story.

Because the summits are very near and the routes are common I consider the best option to make a page to all the peaks with some description of everyone then in the main page and the routes. The route collado de Alba (North) is the same to entry to the normal access, though exists another longest route from Cregüeña (South), and I'll write the route of the last meters to every summit in other routes with their names. It's possible to climb the five summits in the same day, but it's very long, normally in a long day of 11 hours, or more, of walk. Two of the peaks (Delmás and Bondidier) have a rock-climb of P.D.inf. with some stepcrossings of II but the others are only F. (easy, grade I ) and they don't have complications to all the people in summer. Normally it's a good idea the climb of the three main summits if we aren't tired in the first. If we came from collado superior de Alba the first climb is the peak Mir and it have two summits.The climb to summit North is a wall of IV- and it's not possible to follow without the return near the col. In winter the climb is completely different and even a very good option is the use of ski in the long traverse from La Besurta.
Punta Delmás (3170m)Delmás
Pico Sayó (3211m)Sayó

Pico Mir or Tercera Maladeta Occidental (3185m)
The western peak, and the first main summit.
-José Mir was a guide of the village of Benasque. He worked with José Sayó in the first years of XXth Century.


Punta Delmás (3148m)

This is a secondary peak of Pico Mir but it's in the official list of UIAA of peaks of 3000m of the Pyrenees.
-José Delmás was a great guide of Benasque and he climbed Aneto with Estasen, Feliu and Ribera by the first time in winter.
Le Bondidier (3146m)Le Bondidier
Pico Cordier (3263m)Cordier

Pico Sayó or Segunda Maladeta Occidental (3211m)
Second main peak and probably the most aesthetic of the peaks with a pyramid aspect from collado de Alba.
-José Sayó: was a guide of the village of Benasque and the keeper of Mountain Hut of La Renclusa. He died by a lightning on July 27th of 1916 in the Paso de Mahoma of peak Aneto.

Pico Le Bondidier (3149m)
Joinned across the collado Cordier with the peak Sayó at South is a main peak according with the list of UIAA, but really it’s not very high over the col. It’s a nice rocky ridge.
-Louis Le Bondidier was an important climber of the first years of the pyreneism. When Jean Arlaud searched some peak to climb by the first time he finded this peak and he gived the name of his friend, the man who discover this peak.

Pico Cordier or Primera Maladeta Occidental (3263m)
The eastern peak is the highest but the ridge follows to Pico de la Maladeta (3308m), also known as Maladeta Oriental (Eastern Maladeta), the main peak of the sector.
-Louis Antoine Cordier was a mineralist and an important mountaineer.

Getting There

Approach to Benasque (B):

From Spain


From Huesca or Zaragoza (A): in the road on direction to Barbastro (N-240). After Barbastro you follow the indication to valley of Benasque to the C-1311 to Graus and the C-139 to Benasque across the beautiful gorge of Congosto de Ventanillo.

From France

From Bagneres de Luchon (F) across tunel de Vielha (N-230) turning to Castejón de Sos (N-260).

Trailheads

-Puente de Cregüeña (1,490m) (C): in the road from Benasque to Hospital de Benasque you take the crossroad to Baños de Benasque, before the Puente de Lliterola, and in the road we'll take the first track to right. The forest track descent to a first bridge where we'll don't cross and we'll follow the track to right to Puente de Cregüeña with a signal near of a hut.

-La Besurta (1,890m) (E): the entry of North of Maladeta Massif is the same of normal route of Aneto across Refuge La Renclusa. La Besurta is easy of reach from Benasque following to Hospital de Benasque and taking the road signalled at right side before the descent to Hospital.

-Llanos del Hospital (D): in summer you must park here paying bus to La Besurta.


See bigger map

Red Tape

Located in the Natural Park of Posets-Maladeta with rules about conservation.

Very important: the road of La Besurta is closed in winter and early in the spring (it's the pist of sky-cross county with snow). From june it's opened. From july to september you can't access with your car and you must use the bus to la Besurta.
In the acces to south route (Puente de Cregüeña) don't exists restrictions but the route is very long.

Camping

Camping is not allowed, it's forbidden in the natural park.

The camping is permited in Pla de Senarta (ayuntamiento de Benasque, a little tax of 3-4 €) or the nearby Camping of Aneto.
The night in La Besurta is a good option in the vehicle but you can't camp with the tent or vivac.
The refuge of La Renclusa is a good option, specially in spring with the road closed (1h45min of walk to the refuge but from La Besurta with the road opened it's only a easy walk of 40 minutes).

Many lodges and hotels in village of Benasque

External Links

turismobeansque.net: bus the important information about bus in summer.


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.