Veteranos, Pico de los

Veteranos, Pico de los

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 42.66426°N / 0.43671°E
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 10253 ft / 3125 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Pico de los VeteranosVeteranos
Gemelos Ravier and VeteranosGemelos and Veteranos

Posets has two important peaks at North joined by the Brecha carrivé. Both peaks were climbed and known for the mountaineers but they didn't have name before making of the list of peaks of three-thousand meters of the Pyrenees. The names chosen were Pico de los Veteranos (3,125m ) and Pico de los Gemelos Ravier (3,160m).

The Brecha Carrivé has a rock-climbing of III in the access to Pico de los Gemelos and II+ in the access to Posets and for this reason the normal routes of these peaks are from North across an easier ridge with step-crossing of II- (P.D.inf.)

Pico de los Gemelos and Pico de los Veteranos are generally climbed in the same day because you need less of 1h more to reach the last summit but both are peaks completely different and both are main summits according of the list of UIAA.

Why the name Veteranos?

Veteranos can translate as veterans. It’s like the name of the soldiers retired.
The group wanted to use the name Pico Juan Buyssé, who was one important person in the making of the list, but he preferred a global name about all the people that were climbing the peaks of Pyrenees in their lives and they had more experience because they had older than the others.

Getting There

You have two normal routes always crossing Puerto de Chistau, from Viados (11km of forest track from San Juan de Plan) or from Estós (2h of walk from the road of Benasque).


see bigger map

Red Tape

The peak is in the Natural Park of Posets-Maladeta with rules about wildlife, camping,...

Camping

Free camping is not allowed.

Viados:
-Refuge Tabernes (free), with the same access across the forest track, in the last crosstrack accessing to Viados.
-Refugio de Viadós (private), reservation is advisable before driving the forest track.

Benasque:
-Refugio de Estós (FAM), reservation is advisable before walking the route.

External Links

mendikat.net (spanish)

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.