Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 44.07084°N / 113.68811°W
Additional Information County: Custer County
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 11972 ft / 3649 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

No Regret is the 11th highest mountain in Idaho. This peak is not easy to get to from any direction which makes seclusion so great. No Regret sits on the Lost River Crest inbetween many 12ers. With Breitenbach to the south east and Donaldson to the south west No Regret is nesteled inbetween a couple of giants

Getting There

Getting there is the hard part. It all depends on the route in which you want to persue. There are a couple options.

Option One- This is to get on the east side of the Lost River Range and climbing the mountain from lake 9682. The area you will be heading it the East Fork of the Pahsimeroi River.

From Hwy 93 you want to head East on Doublesprings Pass Road (FS116). This road is about 16 miles north of Mackay and 24 miles swouth of Challis. This is a road with a sign that leads to a Borah Earthquake site. Once heading East on Boublesprings Pass Rd the road turns to rock and it will continue to get rougher as the miles add on. At about 10.5 miles there will be a road heading south called Horsehaven Pass Rd (FS117). There will be sign here as well; turn south. From here the pebbles become boulders. High clearance and 4X4 will be needed not too far down this road. Follow this road south for about there will be a sign indicating the road is not sutable for cars. I would follow that advice. This is aroun 18 miles from the highway. Shortly there will be the first stream crossing of Mahogany Creek. Nothing too bad here, but that will depend on the time of season you decide to climb. I used my 4X4 through it in the late summer before. The next obstacle will be a really steep hill. If you want to avoid the hill continue on the path to the right it will cirle around the hill and rejoin the main road.

A few miles after the hill (should be around 22 miles from the hwy) there will be a cabin with corrals and a couple gates. At 22.1 miles from Hwy 93 there will be a fork in the road. You want the East Fork Road (FS118). This is where the road gets the roughest. Don't expect to get there quickly if you want your tires to last. The next obstacle is fording the West Fork which will be much worse than Mahogany Creek. 4X4 will be essential now, just punch it! Soon the road will split again, stick to the right. This will switch back to the left but will then come around again. Just follow the road to the south east and it will eventually end at a trailhead (Dry Creek).


Option Two- Much easier to get to, but a much tougher climb. This will be the directions to the standard route for Church/Donaldson. From Hyw 93 you will want to head north from Mackay (about 10miles) to the Jones Creek turn off. Follow this dirt road to the mouth of Jones Creek. This road is pretty well used so it's not nearly as rough as the east side of the Lost Rivers.

Red Tape

No red tape here. Just close all the gates that you open.

Camping

You can camp at the trailhead for either side. Short backpack approaches are great so you can get multiple peaks in one outing.

External Links

Trails of Eastern Idaho by Margaret Fuller and Jerry Painter ISBN 0-9664233-1-3. There is a great description on how to get to the East Fork of the Pahsimeroi on page 54.

Challis National Forest

National Weather Service



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.