Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 43.91193°N / 114.48082°W
Additional Information County: Blaine
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 11602 ft / 3536 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Difficulty: Class 2 with loose scree and talusRoute Stats
Distance: roughly 6 mile each way (see Routes for specifics)
Gain: between 4300 and 5200', depending on route

Getting There

There are several routes to access Glassford, none of them particularly easy.

From the north


Drive Highway 75 for 38 miles east of Stanley toward Challis, and turn south onto the East Fork road that follows the East Fork of the Salmon River. Follow this good-condition dirt road for 30 miles to the West Pass road. The first 1/4 mile of this road is loose baseball-size boulders and quite steep. 2WD passenger cars not recommended. After that, the road condition improves and is quite good until it is blocked in about 4 miles. Park (and camp) here. Follow the Northern Route (see below).
 

From the south


Drive Highway 75 north from Ketchum to the SNRA building, about 5 miles. Turn off and follow the dirt road for about 5 miles to its end. Follow the Southern Route (see below).
 

Red Tape

No Red Tape.

Camping

There is formal camping at a number of Forest Service campsites along Highway 75. Choose one according to your route and time. Additionally, there is "dispersed camping" at the northern trailhead with easy access to a creek, but no facilities.

External Links


For additional information on this climb and other peaks in the area, please see Tom Lopez's excellent book, Idaho: A Climbing Guide.

Routes

Northern route


6 miles, 4300' elevation.
From the trailhead, hike up the old road. After a short 1/2 mile, you will have to cross a broad creek. Early in the year, this could pose a problem, but in summer it's only about knee-deep. Continue on the road as it climbs above the creek and follows the valley. You will have to climb under or around numerous fallen trees, otherwise this portion might be a good mountain bike ride. When you see the West Pass trail on the left, it is time to drop down into the creek again.
As you follow the creek in a westerly direction, there are lots of options. On climber's right, there are lots of game trails, some quite a ways up the hillside. However, the hiking along the shoulder of the creek also works.
Eventually, you will get above timberline. 
From the saddle, you have about 800' of very loose scree to deal with. Here, you are on your own. 

Southern route


6.5 miles, 5200' elevation gain, with a 600' return climb
From the trailhead, head up the North Fork of the Wood River. As the trail moves westward, pick your best bet for a saddle in the ridge on your north and hope it provides access down the other side. After you cross the ridge, join the upper valley portion of the northern route.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Boulder Mountains (ID)Mountains & Rocks
 
Idaho ElevenersMountains & Rocks
 
Idaho Top 100Mountains & Rocks