Mount Breitenbach

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 44.06500°N / 113.673°W
Additional Information Elevation: 12140 ft / 3700 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Mount Breitenbach -The 5th highest peak in Idaho, and 4th highest in the Lost River Range. Named after Jake Breitenbach who died during the 1963 American Everest Expedition.
Lower Titus Peak photo_id=143942


Mount Breitenbach is a massive summit that belongs to the coveted Idaho 12ers group. Located in the Lost River Mountains, it is the 5th highest in Idaho while the 4th highest the its range. it sits squarely on the main Lost River crest and, unlike most other 12ers, is well hidden from the highways.

Mount Breitenbach is a complex mountain with many different characteristics. The southwestern slopes tower 6,200 vertical feet above the Big Lost River Valley and are guarded on either side by fellow 12ers Donaldson Peak and Lost River Peak.

Breitenbach's north face is among the most impressive in the state yet rarely is viewed because of its remoteness. The face rises 3,000 feet above the headwaters of the East Fork Pasimeroi River and is hidden by other ridges and mountains.

Most likely the first ascent up Breitenbach was accomplished by W. Boyer sometime in the early 1960s.

Getting There


The peak typically accessed from Pete Creek.

Directions to Pete Creek
Take US 93 8.4 Miles north of Mackay
Take a right and follow the road till you cross a canal
Be looking for a road to your left that will head you back towards
Pete Creek

Avoid the drainage directly below Lost River Peak

Idaho 12ers


Listed here are the infamous Idaho 12ers, each unique in their own sense.

Mount Borah 12,662
Leatherman Peak 12,230
Mount Church 12,200+
Diamond Peak 12,197
Mount Breitenbach 12,140
Lost River Peak 12,078
Mount Idaho 12,065
Donaldson Peak 12,023
Hyndman Peak 12,009

Red Tape


There are no permits required to climb, park, drive, breathe, nothing but a sense of adventure and some common sense.

When To Climb


This mountain is typically climbed from mid-June to mid September. The earlier in the season you can climb the less scree you will face.

Camping


There is camping allowed at the trailhead. Aside from Borah Peak there are no formal facilities at any of the Lost River (or 12 er) peaks

Possible to camp at the saddle, but the going is rough up there.

Mountain Conditions


Contact Info:
Lost River Ranger District
P.O. Box 507
716 W Custer
Mackay, Idaho 83251
(208) 588-3400
email: rerickson@fs.fed.us
Office Hours: Monday - Friday 8:00 am - 4:30 pm

External Links




Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.