Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 44.10610°N / 113.7777°W
Additional Information Elevation: 12065 ft / 3677 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Also known as "Elkhorn Peak" Mt Idaho stands as the seventh-highest summit in Idaho.

Shaped like a pyramid with no obvious way to the top, Idaho is a great peak. With four distinct faces and 4 classic ridges

A climb from Elkhorn Creek encompasses about 8 miles and 5,000 vertical feet of ascending. It will not disappoint you.

Idaho ranks as a favorite 12er and for good reason. The approach hike takes you through a forested area with a nice stream. When you break out you are greeted with a spectacular view of the peak.

The climb from there is a great mix of scrambling and even some tricky route finding.

The summit rewards you with a spectacular view of Borah, and a glimpse into the Pahsimeroi Valley.

The descent is fast with a huge open scree field where you can cover about 1200 feet in under 10 minutes.

Getting There

Finding the (main route) trailhead is easy compared to the rest of the peaks in the range (Besides Borah)

Take US-93 North 15.9 miles from Mackay. (Just before you get to the paved road heading west over to Sun Valley). Turn east and follow this very rough road till it ends, little ways up the drainage.

There is an alternate west side route. Access Cedar Creek from the Mount Borah trailhead.

Red Tape

There are no permits required.
No summit fees
No seasonal closures
No rules for wildlife safety (Besides the general rules you should always adhere to)
No parking pass required
Generally no people

When To Climb

Typically from the middle of June to the end of September. Winter ascents take place on the North Face (Ice Climb)

Camping

There is camping at the end of the rough road, but it is not a very nice place to do so. It is hard to find a flat space and precious little shade.
If you were to hike up +- 1/2 mile, there is great camping along Elkhorn Creek.

Just a little ways back down 93 there is a newly remodeled Fee campground at the Mackay Reservoir.

Mountain Conditions

Contact Info:
Lost River Ranger District
P.O. Box 507
716 W Custer
Mackay, Idaho 83251
(208) 588-3400
email: rerickson@fs.fed.us
Office Hours: Monday - Friday 8:00 am - 4:30 pm

External Links



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.