Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.62740°N / 105.7322°W
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Additional Information County: Clear Creek
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 12766 ft / 3891 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Otter Mountain

Stats of Otter Mountain
Prominence: 386 feet
CO Peaks Rank: 808


Otter Mountain is not a popular mountain to the normal Coloradoan. It is located in the Front Range, south of Georgetown, next to Guanella Pass. Though overlooked, Otter Mountain’s summit provides stellar views of the Sawtooth, the famous ridge between Mt. Bierstadt and Mount Evans. On a clear day one can see five of Colorado’s 14ers from its summit. These include Mt. Bierstadt, Mt. Evans, Torreys Peak, Grays Peak, and Longs Peak. On a normal summer weekend you could very well have the summit all to yourself as you gander at the hundreds of cars parked at Guanella Pass.



Getting There

Silver Dollar Lake Trailhead
From Denver drive West on I-70 and take exit 228 at Georgetown. Head into Georgetown and turn right onto Rose Street. Follow signs onto Guanella Pass (Rose Street turns into Guanella Pass). Drive south on Guanella Pass for about 7.3 miles. You will see Guanella Pass Campground on your left. A short distance past the campground turn right and follow signs to Silver Dollar Lake Trailhead. This is just over 0.6 miles from the turn off of Guanella Pass Road. There is enough space for a dozen or so vehicles at the trailhead. In the summer a 2WD should have no issues if it is not wet getting to the trailhead.

Red Tape

There is no Red Tape to hike Otter Mountain.


Grays, Edwards, and Torreys

Camping

Camping is available at Guanella Pass Campground.


Otter Mountain

Routes

Otter Mountain can be climbed by a few different routes. A common route would be to hike in combination with Mount Wilcox. Here is a route some people have used for that. Another Trip Report for the same route.

I have detailed route information here to hike just Otter Mountain. Someone wanting something more challenging could hike the nearby ridges and bag Mount Wilcox, Mount Edwards, and Argentine Peak along with Otter Mountain. Here is a trip report.

Mount Edwards

Weather for Georgetown, CO




View West from Otter


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.