Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.30030°N / 106.1825°W
Additional Information Elevation: 13781 ft / 4200 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Mosquito Peak is a 200 highest mountain located in the Mosquito Range and it is 2 miles north of Mosquito Pass. Mosquito Pass is the highest road pass in Colorado but the road is only accessible to high clearance 4WD vehicles. The Mosquito range is better know for its extensive mining history. The naming of the Mosquito range is attributed to Judge Wilbur F. Stone who had firsthand knowledge of the mosquitos in the area. It is said that Judge Stone could not decide on a name for his new mining company and left the space blank on the legal documents. A mosquito then landed on the blank space and he decided to call his new company the Mosquito Mining Company and later the entire range was named Mosquito. To better understand the mining history just look at the topos in this area, most of the maps are filled with little X's that designate the mines in the area.

Getting There


Mosquito Peak is 2 miles north of Mosquito pass which connects Alma and Leadville. From the south it is 4.5 miles from the 285 Colorado 9 crossroads in Fairplay or 1 mile south of Alma. If you are coming from Fairplay, drive north 4.5 miles towards Alma on Colorado 9. . Turn west onto Park County 12 towards Park City. Go through the town of Park City and continue on the road for another 2.5 miles and take the right fork in the road. The road is open for another 100 yards, park here at approximately 10,900 feet in the winter and in the summer to 11,520 feet.

Red Tape


Park to the side of the road there no fees or permits required.

When To Climb


The best time to climb this mountain is in the summer. It can be climbed in the winter because road access is within 5 miles to the summit but due to the steep sections it is not advisable unless the avalanche danger is low. It would be a good climb in the spring when the avalanche danger is gone.

Mountain Conditions


This range is always windy so dress for it. For a winter climb check the avalanche conditions. I would not climb this if the danger was moderate to high.


Miscellaneous Info


Pike National Forest, South Park Ranger District, P.O. Box 219, Fairplay, CO 80440, (719) 836-2031

Park County Sheriff 719 836 2494


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Mosquito RangeMountains & Rocks
 
Colorado 13ersMountains & Rocks
 
Contiguous US Highest 150Mountains & Rocks