Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 44.10280°N / 114.6287°W
Additional Information Elevation: 11342 ft / 3457 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


All of the major White Cloud peaks are in the Northern part of the range. D.O. Lee is one of 14 peaks in the range over 10,000 ft, and is at the southern end of White Clounds. The White Clouds take their name from the large deposits of white limestone in the northwest portion of the range. WCP-9 is one of the key peaks in the range that shows why this range was given its name. This part of the range is one of those areas of hidden beauty. Most of the peaks do not have summit registers and we didn't see a single person on our trip, so a great place to get into true idaho wilderness.

There are two known routes:
- South Ridge (class 3)
- North Ridge (class 3)

The following information is coutesy of Bob Lee:
This peak was named after my father David Oliver Lee, Born 1934 Challis, ID. Died 1982 Hailey, ID. age 47. David was grandson
of Dave Williams, homesteader of Sawtooth Valley and namesake of Williams peak. D. O. Lee was a longtime FS employee and Wilderness Zone Manager for the Sawtooth until his death in 1982. My dad was a true outdoorsman. His lifelong Love, Respect and Dedication for the Sawtooth Wilderness and White Clouds have inspired many.

Getting There


These Directions are for the North Ridge route:
From Stanley Idaho drive east on 75 towards Challis for about 20 miles. You will have the salmon river on your right right up to the turn off. You will cross the river and you will turn right onto Slate Creek road. It is signed, but the brige is a better indicator. Follow slate creek road for 8 miles to the trailhead. The road was accessible by car when we went (July), but have heard that at certain times of the year it can be rough (likely earlier in the summer or spring).

Red Tape


no trailhead fees, no summit fees

When To Climb


July and August are the best months to climb. Road access in spring/early summer depends on snow melt. An ice axe will be required on the north ridge route due to a large cornice that lasts well into late summer. Combine this summit with WCP-9.

Camping


Camping at the slate creek trailhead is permitted, although flat space is sparce. Your best bet is to hike in the 4.25 miles to OCaulkens lake and set up a basecamp. It is beautiful in there.

Mountain Conditions


Standard cautions - watch for slides early in the season, and watch for T-storms in the summer..

Current Conditions Page on the National Forest Web Site

Sawtooth National Forest

2647 Kimberly Rd. E.

Twin Falls, ID. 83301

(208) 737-3200

This message board is a good location for finding out information on the status of Idaho peaks.

External Links



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

White CloudsMountains & Rocks
 
Idaho ElevenersMountains & Rocks
 
Idaho Top 100Mountains & Rocks