Shoor Gardan

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.47816°N / 50.92533°E
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Additional Information Elevation: 12969 ft / 3953 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Click for Introduction to Central Alborz Mountains.

Click to see the Map of the Takhte Soleyman Massif.
Northeast FaceNortheastern Face, Photo by FereidounForghani/Amirkhani

North FaceNorth Face
South FaceSouth Face

Shoor Gardan rises on the crest of the ridgeline that forms the northern arm of the Takhte Soleyman Massif. To the south, Shoor Gardan is connected to the 4140 m Mazi Gardan Peak. The northern slopes of Shoor Gardan are broad and descend slowly to a 3520 m saddle which connects Shoor Gardan to the 3640 m Reka Poshteh Peak to the north.
Northeastern FaceNortheastern Face, Photo by FereidounForghani/Amirkhani

Kalahoo & GhobiKalahoo & Ghobi
Korma KoohKorma Kooh

The western slopes of Shoor Gardan are very steep and drop 2300 vertical meters to the bottom of the Sehezar River Valley. Its eastern slopes are also steep and drop 2000 vertical meters to reach the Eza Rood River Valley. Both of these valleys head north and drain into the Caspian Sea which is only 31 Km away from the summit of Shoor Gardan. Caspian Forests cover the valleys up to an elevation of 2300 m and clouds generated by Caspian Sea moisture often fill the valleys.
Eza Rood ValleyMomentary break in the clouds reveals the forested Eza Rood Valley

Shoor Gardan is a long way from any trailhead and reaching its summit requires a multi-day program. It is usually climbed by those who want to explore the northern arm of the Takhte Soleyman Massif. The usual route is to first climb the 4430 m Ghobi Peak and then follow the ridgeline north past the 4340 m Looy Na and the 4140 m Mazi Gardan Peaks (See Route below). From the summit of Shoor Gardan, you can continue north on the crest of the ridgeline past the 3640 m Reka Poshteh & the 3590 m Dakooh Peaks to reach the seasonal village of Kia Neshinan (2400 m). You will then hike through the dense forest to reach a road that can take you to the Caspian Sea coast.


Caspian ForestsCaspian Forests
Kia NeshinanVillage of Kia Neshinan
Caspian ForestsCaspian Forests

Views From the Summit of Shoor Gardan:





Korma KoohKorma Kooh
Siyalan Peak/Sehezar ValleySiyalan Peak & Sehezar Valley
Kalahoo & GhobiKalahoo & Ghobi







Looy Na & Mazi GardanLooy Na & Mazi Gardan
Eza Rood ValleyEza Rood Valley
Reka PoshtehReka Poshteh


Route

The starting point for this route is the summit of Mazi Gardan Peak. Click here to see the Route Page for Mazi Gardan.

From the summit of Mazi Gardan go down its western slopes and then gain the top of the ridgeline and head north toward Shoor Gardan. You will actually see a faint trail just below the top of the ridgeline on the west side. The southern slopes of Shoor Gardan are rocky. It will be much easier to traverse below the summit of Shoor Gardan on its western slopes until you reach the easy northern slopes. You can then turn south and follow the easy north slopes to reach the summit. Distance from the summit of Mazi Gardan is 2.3 Km.



South FaceSouth Face
Eza Rood ValleyEza Rood Valley
Southwestern FaceSouthwestern Face
North FaceNorth Face

Getting There

From downtown Tehran drive 40 km west to the town of Karaj and take the Karaj-Chalus Road north (This road crosses the Alborz Mountains taking you through the Kandovan Tunnel to the Caspian Coast). 30 km south of Chalus, you will reach the town of Marzan Abad. Turn left and follow a side road into the Sardab Rood River drainage and to the town of Roodbarak. Distance from Tehran to Roodbarak is roughly 200 km.

Red Tape

Non-Iranian citizens will be charged a fee of around $50 in the town of Roodbarak (the usual starting point for the summit of Ghobi Peak). No fees for an approach from the north.

Camping

Anywhere

External Links

Add External Links text here.