Abel Peak (Peak 11516)

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 43.78650°N / 114.1368°W
Additional Information County: Custer
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 11516 ft / 3510 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Abel Peak is yet another little known 11000 foot peak in the Pioneer Mountains of central Idaho. On maps, this peak is known by its elevation of 11516ft and is located on a ridgeline between two higher (and amazingly also not named on USGS maps) peaks- Goat (11913) and Devil's Bedstead East (11865). Abel Peak is the 45th highest peak in the state of Idaho according to listsofjohn or 46th highest based on Brendon's list on summitpost. The unofficial name of Abel Peak is presumably due to its location above Kane Lake. The first documented ascent was in 1994 by the inimitable Rick Baugher who I believe also coined the name. Abel Peak has a prominence of 316 to 356 feet above the saddle along the ridgeline to Devil's Bedstead East. There are certainly more prominent peaks in the area and I don't think Abel Peak would be the first peak in area that one would visit. However, Abel Peak is in a spectacular location with views of high peaks and Wildhorse Basin. The hike through the Kane Lake drainage is also beautiful. Lastly, the climb itself if fun with generally stable rock and a little bit of scrambling. I am not sure how often Abel Peak is climbed. Certainly Kane Lake sees a fair amount of traffic but unfortunately the Abel Peak summit register was water logged and the only legible entries were a group of six and possibly a dog from just a few weeks ago.

Getting There

Kane Lake Trailhead
Abel Peak would generally be approached from Sun Valley. Drive over Trail Creek Summit about 21 miles and then turn right on the road signposted "Kane Lake." One could also reach this point from the east from Mackay. Once turning off Trail Creek Road, it is 3 or 4 miles to the trailhead. This road becomes progressively worse as it nears the trailhead. I do not really think it requires 4 wheel drive (at least when dry) but you would probably want a high clearance vehicle. The trailhead is marked Kane Lake.

Red Tape

None

Camping

There are some forest service campgrounds just over Trail Creek Summit a few miles from the trailhead. There did not appear to be great campsites at the trailhead itself. Alternatively, one could backpack to Kane Lake which has several very nice backcountry campsites at one of Idaho's more scenic lakes.

External Links

As always in Idaho, our bible for mountaineering is Tom Lopez book "Idaho- A Climbing Guide Climbs, Scrambles and Hikes"

Excellent web resources include idahosummits.com and climbingidaho.com

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.