Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 43.82222°N / 113.98019°W
Additional Information County: Blaine
Activities Activities: Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 11353 ft / 3460 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The 11,353 foot Big Black Dome sits high above the Copper Basin drainage and comprises the northeastern most edge of the Pioneer Mountain Range. This peak is a relatively long, yet easy ascent with everything from scree fields to dodging big heifers that somehow wonder up this mountain from the BLM designated Copper Basin grazing fields below.

This peak has a long rounded summit block that is mostly a class 2 slog up a long sustained scree field.

The Lost RiversIdaho's tallest peaks as seen from the Big Black Dome.


Lost River RangeThe entire Lost River Range, as seen from the Big Black Dome.



Getting There

Getting to Copper Basin is easiest if you wander onto Trail Creek Road. This road connects the Mackay area with the Sun Valley Region, and is only passable from around late may (sometimes much later), until about early November (sometimes much earlier). This road is passable with a 2wd car, although this road is not paved, and expect to kick up a lot of dust to get to the Copper Basin area.

If heading from the Borah area (North of Mackay) on Trail Creek Road, travel approximately 17 miles from Highway 93 to Wildhorse Creek Road. If heading from Sun Valley, travel approximately 22 miles from the intersection on Highway 75 and Sun Valley Road to the Wildhorse Creek Road area.

Once on the Wildhorse Creek Road, follow this road for approximately 2.1 miles, where you will encounter a fork. One leads to Wildhorse Basin, and the other leads to Copper Basin. From here take the National Forest Road 135 towards Copper Basin for the next 10.9 miles. You will eventually come to the Copper Basin Loop Road (National Forest Road 138) where you will make a right. At this point you will be able to see the hulking Big Black Dome from the road. It's the first major peak on the loop. Travel this road for about 2.2 miles, and then you will see a road heading towards the Big Black Dome peak. If you have a high clearance vehicle you can continue on this road for a few miles, but if not, just find a place to park around this intersection to start your journey.

Red Tape

Welcome to BLM hell. This mountain has some of the greatest views of the Eastern Pioneers and the Lost Rivers one can encounter, yet cows RUN this land. Don't be fooled to believe otherwise. You will find cows grazing in high alpine lakes, well into the alpine zone, and on high alpine peaks, like the Big Black Dome. Heck, even some locals are calling for a local hunting of these beasts to thin the herd to more manageable levels, since the ranchers sure don't do their job. So, carry a high powered rifle, just in case you get charged by a bull. In these parts, wolves, cougars, and bears aren't even as much of a threat as a big bull trying to protect his territory.

There is basically no red tape in this region, other than it's a hard place to reach in winter. Other than that, just be warned that recreational activities, as well as wildlife protection, and hunting opportunities take a backseat to the welfare ranching interests.

Camping

Camping can be had in many parts of the Copper Basin Region. Starhope Campground is probably your best bet, but there are many backcountry spots in this region, so a multitude of different camping opportunities exist.

External Links

Damn the Herd!