Booby Prize (Unnamed 13312 ft)

Booby Prize (Unnamed 13312 ft)

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.99102°N / 106.59548°W
Additional Information County: Chaffee/Gunnison
Additional Information Elevation: 13312 ft / 4057 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


East face of Booby Prize





Note about name: This peak has no official name. Mountain climbers have referred to it by the strange name “Booby Prize”.
Rank: Booby Prize is Colorado’s 382nd highest ranked peak.


Booby Prize sits in the Sawatch Mountains of central Colorado on the continental divide a few miles to the south of Route 82. The eastern slopes of Booby Prize rise steeply above the South Fork of Lake Creek Valley. In contrast, its southern slopes are gentle. The southern and the western slopes go down into the broad valley of Taylor Creek River. A rough dirt road starts on Route 82 and takes you up the South Fork of Lake Creek Valley. From the end of the road, you can follow a trail to reach the eastern slopes of Booby Prize where you will leave trail and find your own way to the summit.

Getting There

From Independence Pass on Route 82, drive 9.3 miles east (or 14.5 miles west from junction of Routes 82 and 24) to the “South Fork of Lake Creek Road” (FR 391) (the parking area for La Plata Peak Trail is in the same area). This is a dirt road that is rough with many pot holes but is technically a 2WD road (I drove an SUV and did not need to use 4WD but I would not bring a passenger car here).

Turn south onto the South Fork of Lake Creek Road. At 2.8 miles go straight (right). At 3.3 miles you will reach the junction of Mc Nasser Gulch Road (FR 394). Continue left until after 4.6 miles from Route 82 you reach the junction with Peekaboo Gulch Road on the right (FR 393). Continue left on FR 391. After a cabin, you will reach an area where you will have to cross a stream (no bridge). I chose to park here although the road continued another 1.3 miles.

Route, South Fork of Lake Creek

Peak13312
Peak13312

 

Place
Elevation
Distance
Jct. Peekaboo & South Fork Lake Creek Rds.
10940 ft
zero miles
End of road
11250 ft
1.30 miles
End of trail
12200 ft
2.20 miles
Summit
13312 ft
0.80 miles
Total
-
4.30 miles






This description starts at the junction of Peekaboo Gulch (FR 393) and South Fork of Lake Creek (FR 391) Roads. Slopes of Red Mountain are visible.

Red MountainRed Mountain



Hike up the road to the end of it where a trail continues up the South Fork of Lake Creek Valley. Peak 12934 ft and Peak 12750 ft can be seen to the left.

From trail in South Fork of Lake Creek(L) Peak 12934 ft & (R) Peak 12750 ft



As you continue up the valley, Booby Prize will come to view.

First view of Booby PrizeFirst view of Booby Prize



Peak 12750 ft.

Peak 12750 ftPeak 12750 ft
Peak 12750 ftPeak 12750 ft




At around 12200 ft, you will reach a fairly flat area at the base of the steep eastern slopes of Booby Prize. The trail fades away.

Booby PrizeBooby Prize
From the flat area at the base of the eastern slopes
From the flat area at the base of the east slopes
Middle MountainMiddle Mountain



I continued south beyond the saddle between Booby Prize and Peak 12750 ft. A couple of nameless lakes were below me.

Nameless Lakes & Jenkins MountainNameless lakes and Jenkins Mountain



A beaten path/trail appeared. It seemed to go to a place where it could give me access to the gentle southern slopes of Booby Prize but I could see that the end of the trail was blocked by snow cornices.

Beaten path on the eastern slopes of Booby PrizeBeaten path



I ended up leaving trail going up the steep eastern slopes of Booby Prize. Climbing was no worse than Class III maximum but the snow fields made it a little more difficult.

Going up the eastern slopes
Going up eastern slopes
Going up eastern slopes
Going up eastern slopes
Going up eastern slopes
Going up eastern slopes
Going up eastern slopes
Going up eastern slopes



Below summit.

Near summit
SummitSummit



Views from the summit of Booby Prize.

Taylor River ValleyTaylor River Valley
Taylor River ValleyTaylor River Valley

 

Castle Peak, Prize BenchmarkPrize Benchmark/Castle Peak
Peak 13447 ft, Garfield Peak etcPeak 13447 ft/Garfield

 

Middle Mountain, South Fork of Lake Creek ValleyMiddle Mtn, South Fork of Lake Creek
Huron Peak, The Three Apostles, Jenkins Mountain etcHuron, Apostles, Jenkins



Anderson, Truro, Tellurium, Tabor Peaks etcAnderson, Truro, Tellurium, Tabor



Red Tape

No fees or permits required.




Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Sawatch RangeMountains & Rocks
 
Colorado 13ersMountains & Rocks