Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.44400°N / 106.2463°W
Additional Information County: Eagle
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 12147 ft / 3702 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Pearl Peak Summit OutcropPearl Peak Summit Outcrop


Shapely little Pearl Peak is a spur peak off of Elk Ridge, a southern extension of the Gore Range. This unranked but an attractive little peak combines nicely with other nearby Twelvers such as Elk Mountain and Corbett Peak. The top of Pearl Peak features a neat, layered summit boulder, a fine place to scamper up and enjoy the views and a snack. Fantastic views are all around, but bold views of the mighty Sawatch are sure to delight the visitor to this gentle summit.

Colorado Rank: Unranked
Mountain Range: Gore
Prominence: 127 feet
USGS Quad: Copper Mountain
Trails Illustrated Map: #109 (Breckenridge / Tennessee Pass)

Rank and prominence information: Lists of John

Getting There

Pearl Peak sits in Eagle County, just west of the Summit County line. Roughly eight miles south-southwest of Vale Pass, Pearl Peak juts off of Elk Ridge as part of a southern spur of the Gore Range. This spur is bordered on the west by US Hwy 24 and on the east by CO Hwy 91. The nearest sizable supply town in Leadville, approximately 15 miles away by road, sitting to the south-southwest of Pearl Peak.

Pearl Peak Area MapClick map image to enlarge

Red Tape

Pearl Peak, Sawatch BackdropPearl Peak, Sawatch Backdrop
Approaching Pearl Peak from Elk RidgeApproaching Pearl Peak from Elk Ridge



There is really little to no red tape in this part of the national forest. Follow LNT (Leave No Trace) principals and be courteous of other recreationalists.

Camping & Lodging

Nearing the summit of Pearl PeakNearing the summit of Pearl Peak
North Sheep Mountain 12436 ft.North Sheep Mountain 12436 ft.


Rustic Camping & Huts



Backcountry CampingNumerous delightful looking backcountry campsites can be found along the Cataract Creek. We’re talking large, level, tree-shaded sites with ample water supply.

National Forest Developed Campgrounds
The Leadville Ranger District of the Pike & San Isabel National Forest and the Eagle / Holy Cross Ranger District of the White River National Forest each contains numerous campgrounds convenient to Elk Mountain.

10th Mtn Division Camping & Huts
The former 10th Mtn Division training camp, "Camp Hale," has organized campgrounds, and not so organized dispersed camping. There is also the Jackal Hut nearby, part of the 10th Mtn Division hut system (visit www.huts.org for reservations). Thanks to Chicagotransplant for providing this valuable information!




Hotels, Cabins, B&Bs, Condos and Family Campgrounds



Nearby ski resorts and small towns translate into a wide variety of lodging options for visitors.

Vail
This ski resort leans toward the higher end for accommodations, though deals may be found in the summer. Expect lodging rates to be positively outlandish in the winter.

For detailed information about lodging in the Vail area, visit this website: Vail Mountain Lodging

Copper Mountain
Lodging rates near Copper Mountain may be more reasonable than Vail, but don’t confuse “reasonable” with “cheap.” As with any other ski resort, deals may be found in the summer months, but once the snow settles in, expect to pay out the nose.

For detailed information about lodging in the Copper Mountain area, visit this website: Copper Mountain Lodging

Leadville/Twin Lakes
The Leadville/Twin Lakes area provides more simple down-to-earth, budget-friendly lodging option, including family RV parks. Still, proximately to several attractions, including Colorado’s High Point (Mount Elbert 14,433 ft.) mean snagging a room requires careful planning in advance of your visit.

For detailed information about lodging in the Leadville/Twin Lakes area, visit this website: Leadville Lodging












Weather & Seasons

Winter & Spring: If the approach roads are plowed and the avalanche conditions stable, a hike to the summit of Pearl Peak could be a pleasant outing. Be prepared for roaring winds from the west on the summit.

Summer: Summer is a warm, hassle-free time to visit this spur of the Gore Range. Wildflower displays in the upper reaches of Cataract Gulch, where the trees become sparse, are sure to delight. Remember that “warm” is a relative term on the Colorado high country, even in the summer. Be prepared for cool temperatures above timber line by bring a hat, gloves and layers.

Autumn: When the Colorado high country is ablaze in autumn’s golden hues, a journey to Pearl Peak would be a heavenly pursuit. Ample sign exist that elk frequent this area, so exercise caution during the fall rut. Even the toughest, most mountain-hardened adventurer is no match for a horny bull elk who perceives the hiker as an impediment to his mating with his harem.

Zone Forecast for Leadville, CO

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Sarah Simon

Sarah Simon - Jul 20, 2009 10:19 am - Hasn't voted

Clarification: Format issue

Thanks for the note about the formatting. I know screen sizes can play havoc on how pages display. To clarify, are you talking about the 2nd image in the "camping and lodging" section? Once I know for sure this is the "problem child" I'll address the images sizes. Thanks again! Sarah

Sarah Simon

Sarah Simon - Jul 21, 2009 2:38 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Clarification: Format issue

Blake, Thanks for the feedback. Formatting for the different sized screens - what fun. I hope I resolved the formatting issue you've brought to my attention. I'm going to scroll around the forums to see if anyone has any advise on this topic. Thanks again, Sarah

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.