Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.67688°N / 106.43778°W
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 12885 ft / 3927 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


The northeastern face of Peak 12885 ft


 
North Face
North Face
 
NE Face
NE Face

Rank: Peak 12885 ft is Colorado’s 728th highest ranked peak
Prominence: 505 ft

Peak 12885 ft sits on the Continental Divide in the Sawatch Mountains of central Colorado near the town of Buena Vista. It belongs to a group of nameless 12ers that rise at the western end of Chalk Creek Valley. Like most of its neighbors, Peak 12885 ft has gentle slopes that allow easy access to its summit.

To the north, Peak 12885 ft is connected to the 13122 ft Fitzpatrick Peak and to the south it connects to Peak 12954 ft. A 11940 ft saddle separates Peak 12885 ft from Peak 12724 ft to the east. The small Graphite Lake sits to the northwest of Peak 12885 ft at elevation of 11780 ft.

A four wheel drive road known as Tincup Pass Road starts in the ghost town of St. Elmo in Chalk Creek Valley and heads west going through the 12154 ft Tincup Pass. Alpine Tunnel Trail (see Mt. Helmers Page) branches off of the eastern parts of Tincup Pass Road and goes through the 11940 ft saddle at the base of the summit of Peak 12885 ft. From the saddle, you could hike up the grassy eastern slopes of Peak 12885 ft to reach its summit (Alpine Tunnel Trail continues south beyond the saddle to reach the ghost town of Hancock).




East and northeastern Faces of Peak 12885 ft


Pictures

Meadow at the beginning of Alpine Tunnel Trail






Meadow
 
Meadow
 



Alpine Tunnel Trail in pine forest







Trail in Forest
 
Trail in Forest
 
Trail in Forest
 



Near tree-line






East Face
Peak 12885 ft
NE Face
Peak 12885 ft



Alpine tundra






Alpine Tundra
 
Alpine Tundra
 



Southern ridgeline of Peak 12885 ft






Southern Ridgeline
Southern Ridgeline
Summit
Summit



Views from the summit of Peak 12885 ft















Looking N/NW
Fitzpatrick Peak & Graphite Lake
Looking N/NE
Tincup Pass & Mt. Yale
Looking East
Mt. Princeton & Chalk Creek
Looking E/SE
Wildcat Gulch
Looking SE
Mt. Aetna
Looking South
Mt. Helmers & Peak 12954 ft
Looking SW
Tomichi Dome
Looking West
Fairview Peak


Getting There

Directions to the beginning of Tincup Pass Rd in St. Elmo:

From the town of Buena Vista drive 8 miles south on Route 285 to a place known as Nathrop and then turn west onto Route 162. Drive this road 16 miles to the ghost town of St. Elmo (the first 10 miles are paved and the rest is a well graded dirt road). In St. Elmo, go thru “Main Street”, turn right and cross the bridge to the north side of Chalk Creek. Then make an immediate left and continue to the west end of town.

Red Tape

No fees or permits for day hikes. For other regulations, see the site for San Isabel National Forest.





Map
Map



Weather Forecast

See the forecast for the nearby town of Buena Vista.

External Links

Driving Tincup Pass Road.


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Sawatch RangeMountains & Rocks
 
Colorado 12ersMountains & Rocks